From: Tom Hendrikx <tom@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Adding ipv6 USE flag by default
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 12:19:06
1 On 15/02/11 12:53, Ed W wrote:
2 >
3 >>> Tests done by a colleague show that, right now, the amount of inbound
4 >>> ipv6
5 >>> traffic on his systems is none but I can perfectly understand your
6 >>> concerns
7 >>> even if they should apply only to the network stack itself, as the
8 >>> daemons
9 >>> listening to v6 should be the same that listen to v4, once configured
10 >>> for dual
11 >>> stack.
12 >>>
13 >>> Anyway, ipv6 has a chance to become relevant by the end of the year
14 >>> as China
15 >>> and India (among others) won't have quite enough v4 addresses in
16 >>> stock to
17 >>> support the growth of their networks.
18 >> This is precisely the point. While on the one hand, it has little
19 >> current use and does potentially increase attack vectors, on the other
20 >> hand, ipv4 is depleted and ipv6 is on the horizon.
21 >>
22 >> I looked at gentoo bugs for ipv6 and didn't find anything serious. I'm
23 >> still leaning towards unmasking it.
26 > It's the whole catch 22 that there isn't any traffic because it's not
27 > deployed and not deployed because there is no one to talk to...
28 >
29 > I think we all have to transition to ipv6 quite quickly so the only
30 > sensible option is to bite the bullet and enable it. I have it enabled
31 > on all my hardened servers...
32 >
33 > I would have thought the sensible rollout strategy for organisations is
34 > to start gently with internal only deployments to get experience and
35 > gradually incorporate the rest of the internet as it becomes more
36 > common. Hopefully in this way most problems will be limited to internal
37 > only at first...
40 I am running 2 boxen with hardened gentoo with ipv6 enabled (one native,
41 one through a tunnel broker). I've seen no issues with ipv6 during
42 deployment or while running services.
43
44 A third box is ipv4 only, but was expected to get ipv6 connectivity
45 quite soon after deploymenty. I disabled ipv6 USE flag and recompiled
46 all affected packages some time after delpoyment. The only reason to do
47 this was that logs were 'flooded' because applications tried to load the
48 net-pf-10 kernel module. There probably is a more elegant way to fix
49 that minor issue. I did not test a setup where the ipv6 kernel stuff is
50 enabled/loaded when connectivity is not available (other than in localhost).
53 Tom