From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Remove the pic use flag in the hardened amd64 profile.
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 16:34:53
1 On 27/02/2011 08:20, klondike wrote:
2 > 2011/2/27 Ed W<lists@××××××××××.com>:
3 >> On 26/02/2011 18:01, Magnus Granberg wrote:
4 >>> If you have read the last meeting we will be removing the pic use flag as
5 >>> default on in the hardened amd64 profile. We will start with the changes
6 >>> when
7 >>> the new structure to the profiles have settled down.
8 >> Hi, any chance of a bit of background on this change? ie the "why" and some
9 >> of the implications?
10 > Summing it up a lot, amd64 usually needs not special asm code for PIC
11 > due to the way the ABI is defined (which means being PIC by default
12 > usually).
13 >
14 > That's not always the case, i.e. aircrack needed special PIC code, but
15 > in general it shouldn't be a problem.
18 Sorry to probe further, but I'm not getting the big picture (durr)
19
20 I think what you are saying is that using PIC requires some special
21 handling (but that work seems largely done now?). However, does
22 removing PIC leave the AMD64 architecture "less secure" in some way? Or
23 is some other procedure now replacing PIC?
24
25 My minimal understanding is that PIC is a key part of the address space
26 randomisation that is considered useful for system hardening. Where does
27 removing PIC leave us in that process?
28
29 So, sorry to be the dimwit, but can you give me a beginners guide to the
30 implications of this change?
31
32 Ta
33