From: "Tóth Attila" <atoth@××××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Remove the pic use flag in the hardened amd64 profile.
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:11:00
1 2011.Február 27.(V) 17:33 időpontban Ed W ezt írta:
2 > On 27/02/2011 08:20, klondike wrote:
3 >> 2011/2/27 Ed W<lists@××××××××××.com>:
4 >>> On 26/02/2011 18:01, Magnus Granberg wrote:
5 >>>> If you have read the last meeting we will be removing the pic use flag
6 >>>> as
7 >>>> default on in the hardened amd64 profile. We will start with the
8 >>>> changes
9 >>>> when
10 >>>> the new structure to the profiles have settled down.
11 >>> Hi, any chance of a bit of background on this change? ie the "why" and
12 >>> some
13 >>> of the implications?
14 >> Summing it up a lot, amd64 usually needs not special asm code for PIC
15 >> due to the way the ABI is defined (which means being PIC by default
16 >> usually).
17 >>
18 >> That's not always the case, i.e. aircrack needed special PIC code, but
19 >> in general it shouldn't be a problem.
22 > Sorry to probe further, but I'm not getting the big picture (durr)
23 >
24 > I think what you are saying is that using PIC requires some special
25 > handling (but that work seems largely done now?). However, does
26 > removing PIC leave the AMD64 architecture "less secure" in some way? Or
27
28 Using the ABI produces PIC-aware code in most cases without any special
29 treatment.
30
31 > is some other procedure now replacing PIC?
32 >
33 > My minimal understanding is that PIC is a key part of the address space
34 > randomisation that is considered useful for system hardening. Where does
35 > removing PIC leave us in that process?
36
37 Removing PIC won't result in non-PIC code on amd64 in most cases.
38
39 Dw.