From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] pidgin & libGL
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:52:57
1 Hi!
2
3 I'm using nvidia drivers on hardened workstation (I know this doesn't
4 supported but I've manually unmasked them) and set `eselect opengl` to
5 nvidia because this is only way to get hardware 3d acceleration in vmware.
6
7 Because of this I've to use `paxctl -m` on few non-critical binaries.
8 But after today's update pidgin-2.7.9 to 2.7.10 I got this on pidgin
9 startup:
10
11 pidgin: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: failed to
12 map segment from shared object: Operation not permitted
13
14 While this can be solved by same `paxctl -m`, I don't like to relax PaX
15 for pidgin. Instead, I'd like to stop pidgin from using opengl - this
16 sounds much more reasonable for this application - it never used it
17 before, and probably don't really need it now.
18
19 Any ideas how to stop pidgin from using libGL or work around this in any
20 other way without `paxctl -m`?
21
22 [ebuild R ] net-im/pidgin-2.7.10 USE="dbus gnutls gstreamer gtk
23 idn ncurses nls perl python spell startup-notification xscreensaver
24 -debug -doc -eds -gadu -groupwise -meanwhile -networkmanager
25 -prediction -qq -sasl -silc -tcl -tk -zephyr -zeroconf"
28 WBR, Alex.