From: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: Kevin <gentoo-hardened@××××××.biz>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Current proposed way of installing gentoo hardened
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:56:46
1 Hi Kevin,
2
3 >Well, I saw that from the beginning. That page (above) lists all of those
4 >different technologies (or maybe most of them) as the subprojects of the
5 >Hardened Project. But knowing a little bit about how SELinux works, I
6 >figured that it was a fundamental part of the Hardened Project and that
7 >it needed to be integrated from the very beginning; during the install
8 >process. Plus, with SELinux being the first Subproject listed in the
9 >collection of Subprojects for Hardened, it lends credence to that
10 >impression (IMO). And under "6. Resources" on that page, I see an
11 >Install Guide for x86 architectures (only install guide there), so I used
12 >it, realizing that it was for only one subproject (SELinux) of the
13 >Hardened Project, but thinking that I could add in the other subprojects
14 >after getting a fully functional Gentoo box with SELinux support running.
18 I think you are getting a bit frustrated with the docs, not gentoo.
19 Lets just agree that the docs are "misleading", but lets focus on what I
20 think are the facts
21
22 - For the purposes of argument, there are three builds of gentoo:
23 Normal, hardened, and selinux.
24 - Your "Hardened" install guide is only for selinux.
25 - Hardened is basically just a normal install, but using a different set
26 of compiler options (which probably means a slightly different stage1
27 build, but I'm sure if you new what you were doing you could start with
28 a normal stage-1).
29 - Selinux seems to me to be too undeveloped if you aren't quite sure
30 what is going on and prepared to fix a few things. (IMHO). Give it a
31 try and see if you can live with it, otherwise come back in X months.
32 - Hardened seems to be the way ahead, but right now gentoo is
33 transitioning from an old style tricky to use method to a new and slick
34 method. Work around it, it won't be a problem in the long run
35 - Selinux *only* needs to be built from stage 1 using a special boot
36 disk, (I think because it needs the /selinux partition to be
37 available). Everything else including hardened can be built from a
38 knoppix CD, or whatever you have handy. There are stage2/3 tarballs in
39 the same place you got your stage 1 tarball (and in fact there are
40 Pent4, etc hardened stages if you go up and down a few dirs.).
41 - To install hardened, pretty much follow the normal install I think
42 (use your head though, perhaps skim the selinux install docs in case
43 there are some tips there)
44
45 - *YOU CAN CONVERT ANY INSTALL TO SELINUX LATER ON....*
46
47 >The iso image that I downloaded in accordance with the Gentoo x86 SELinux
48 >Installation Guide
49 >(http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/selinux-x86-install.xml)
50 >and then burned onto a CD comes right out and says something along the
51 >lines of: "Welcome to the Gentoo Hardened Project." I mean, I'm reading
52 >docs for SELinux (an apparently major subproject of the Hardened Project)
53 >which tell me to get an iso image, and after booting, I get a splash
54 >screen that states: Hardened Gentoo (cap H).
58 I'll have to check, but you got the right boot cd, but the wrong stage
59 install. Its all moot anyway, use ANY boot cd to install hardened and
60 the normal install instructions
61
62 >(docs say Hardened can only be
63 >built this way, not via stage2 or 3), and some documentation.
66 They *mean* Selinux can only be built as a stage 1. There are stages
67 2/3 for hardened at the same link you sent earlier. (Se stages are
68 under experimental)
71 >Exactly what is it that's bleeding edge right now? I see "bleeding edge"
72 >and think, "not appropriate for production servers." Is that what you
73 >mean? So what's bleeding edge? SELinux? All of the Hardened
74 >subprojects? Just some of them? Which ones?
78 Just my 2p, but selinux is only for people who know what they are doing
79 right now. I suggest that you get a spare box setup and start playing.
80 However, otherwise I suspect that too many things will go wrong.
81
82 The other stuff I *think* is ready for prime time, and even if it were
83 slightly buggy, it would be worth the effort. Ultimately you are
84 talking about a few compiler options. If stuff seems a bit wierd, just
85 rebuild without the hardened options. Shouldn't be any worse than that
86
87 >From
88 >http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/selinux-x86-install.xml:
89 >================================================
90 >8. Stage tarballs and chroot
91 >
92 >Selecting the desired stage tarball
93 >
94 >Now, you need to decide which one you would like to use as a basis for the
95 >install if you have not already.
96 >
97 >Since we are compiling everything "from-scracth", as is currently required
98 >by the Gentoo SELinux install... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
99 >================================================
103 Yes, but we agree that this is talking about the selinux stuff, not the
104 hardened stuff. The former means a kernel which enforces ACLs, the
105 later refers to the rest of the system being built with a compiler that
106 adds traps for stack overflows (and a bit more...)
107
108 Yes, the docs are misleading, but nothing worse than that.
109
110 >From the Gentoo Linux Kernel Guide
111 >(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-kernel.xml):
112 >================================================
113 >gs-sources
114 >
115 >For users to whom desktop interactive performance comes as a secondary
116 >priority to reliability and hardware support, we have the gs-sources. GS
117 >stands for Gentoo Stable (creative, aren't we?). This patch set is tuned
118 >and tested to provide the best support for the latest hardware and
119 >ensures that your mission critical servers will be up when you need them.
120 >================================================
125 Fair point, but I have had quite a few problems with stock kernels not
126 compiling with extra patches. The intent is clearly to have a stable
127 patch set, but at the end of the day, this kernel is composed of patch
128 sets sent to the kernel dev list, and then applied here. It's not
129 actually something that consists only of patches written by some gentoo
130 person. It's not a lot different really to the old -mm or -ac or -ck
131 kernel sets.
132
133 Perhaps try WOLK instead? This has similar goals of stability, but for
134 sure I have had problems compiling with certain combinations of
135 options... I guess that's why the real kernel tree trails these various
136 patch sets.
137
138 Sorry...
139
140 >No, I recently patched a plain Linux kernel from kernel.org with the
141 >Device Mapper patch (and some others) myself and built it and am running
142 >it on one of my production servers in a SuSE distro.
147 Sounds like the thing to do then. Keep it mostly stable and only apply
148 the patches you need. gs-sources is just this, but adding in lots more
149 patches...
150
151 >Well, I need to use OpenAFS for which there is currently no support in the
152 >2.6.x kernels.
156 Ahh. Anyone working on it? 2.6-MM has readonly, no security AFS...
157
158 >Well, see above... My first install I did a stage1 and no problems
159 >whatsoever. Now, I can't get gentoo-sources or gs-sources to build in a
160 >standard (normal) gentoo stage1 process.
165 OK, do the same again, but starting with a hardened-stage1 this time.
166 Should be identical, except different compiler options were used. No
167 different really to the way the pent4 build is different to the pent3
168 build... (roughly)
169
170 As for kernel. Pick another one... Or roll back to a previous
171 version... Or build your own...
172
173 >As far as I can tell, there is no hardened install guide other than the
174 >SELinux install guide.
179 I think there is no reason for one yet? I would expect the docs and
180 situation to be changing when the new gcc goes live. Until then I think
181 we just need to read the list and work out what the transition is.
182
183 >What I really need is for someone with more experience than you or me to
184 >either say, "Hey Kev, Hardened Gentoo with SELinux and the other
185 >subprojects will work and this is how you do it: get this iso image, get
186 >this stage1 tarball, and read these docs (for there are so many of each
187 >of these three that it's quite difficult to figure out which are meant
188 >for which) and you'll have a perfectly sound and stable system that is
189 >fine for use in a production server." or... "Hey Kev, we're really still
190 >hashing out problems in the Hardened Gentoo project and/or several of the
191 >subprojects, so you might want to stay away from these subprojects for
192 >now unless you want to help us test them."
197 OK, get any boot cd, get a stage2/3 hardened image (can't see the point
198 of building too much stuff). Then pick a kernel that actually works
199 with your .config file!
200
201 You need to get one important question answered though! What to do
202 while the gcc ebuild transitions. Do you stick with hardened-gcc
203 package, or move to the stable, or move to the testing build and work
204 around any problems... Not sure which is appropriate for a production
205 box.
206
207 I think stable build is safest, but you will be compiling stuff without
208 all the hardened options, so expect to come back later and recompile
209 those packages. (Starting with a stage2/3 will make this easier...)
210
211 Good luck
212
213 Ed W