From: Kevin <gentoo-hardened@××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Current proposed way of installing gentoo hardened
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:52:54
1 Hi Ed-
2
3 Again, thanks for the long and thoughtful reply. From it, I think I
4 discovered a part of my problem and that part lies with semantics. What
5 I mean is this: when I see someone say Hardened Gentoo Project I have
6 been thinking that this implicitly involves the SELinux subproject (not
7 as one-and-the-same, but as an implicitly included subproject). After
8 all, SELinux is clearly one of the subprojects of the Hardened Project
9 and apparently a rather major one. From your last post, I now see that
10 one can have a Hardened Gentoo System with SELinux or a Hardened Gentoo
11 system without SELinux. Or at least, I think that's right. Could you
12 confirm that? Can one also have a non-Hardened Gentoo system with
13 SELinux? Is that what one gets by strictly following the SELinux install
14 guide (no mention of special compiler or linker flags in there)?
15
16 In case other folks out there suffer from the same misconception, someone
17 involved in the Project or subprojects might want to include something on
18 the Hardened web pages that says, "...this is what we mean by
19 Hardened..." like you've done here. Or maybe even some naming
20 convention: "Gentoo Hardened with SELinux", "Gentoo Hardened without
21 SELinux, but with these subprojects", etc. I don't know, but that has
22 been a part of my problem: a misunderstanding of definitions.
23
24 Another part of my problem is that I didn't realize that to install a
25 Hardened Gentoo system without SELinux, one could use the Gentoo Handbook
26 (not the SELinux install guide which is the only install guide at the
27 Hardened web pages) and do something very similar to a normal install.
28 Thanks for clarifying that.
29
30 Another part of my problem is that (as you said initially) I got the wrong
31 stage1 tarball. Before I read your last post here, I reread the SELinux
32 install guide and noticed that the SELinux stage1 tarballs come from
33 the /experimental branch and nowhere else. So I was reading the SELinux
34 install guide, got an iso image that would allow me to do all sorts of
35 different things (Hardened with SELinux, Hardened without SELinux, etc.),
36 then I got a stage1 tarball that was apparently for Hardened without
37 SELinux, but I'm proceeding according to guidance in the SELinux install
38 guide. I'm sure that accounts for some (many? most?) of my problems.
39 So, my mistake here. I saw a few differences between reality and the
40 SELinux install guide and so I started reading it with an editor's eye,
41 and filling in details and adding stuff of my own in interpretation that
42 wasn't there. I should have stayed exactly with the written docs and I
43 would have avoided this part of my problem.
44
45 So, one last thing if I could. I was in the midst of doing an SELinux
46 install from the SELinux install guide when I saw this thread (with
47 subject: Current proposed way of installing gentoo _hardened_ (my
48 emphasis because I read it differently now)) and added my questions to it
49 about these compiler and linker flags: