From: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: Kevin <gentoo-hardened@××××××.biz>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Current proposed way of installing gentoo hardened
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:03:06
1 >Again, thanks for the long and thoughtful reply. From it, I think I
2 >discovered a part of my problem and that part lies with semantics. What
3 >I mean is this: when I see someone say Hardened Gentoo Project I have
4 >been thinking that this implicitly involves the SELinux subproject (not
5 >as one-and-the-same, but as an implicitly included subproject). After
6 >all, SELinux is clearly one of the subprojects of the Hardened Project
7 >and apparently a rather major one. From your last post, I now see that
8 >one can have a Hardened Gentoo System with SELinux or a Hardened Gentoo
9 >system without SELinux. Or at least, I think that's right. Could you
10 >confirm that? Can one also have a non-Hardened Gentoo system with
11 >SELinux? Is that what one gets by strictly following the SELinux install
12 >guide (no mention of special compiler or linker flags in there)?
16 Think about "Hardened" with a big "H" meaning the overall project. And
17 "hardened" with a little "h" meaning something you can do to your binaries!
18
19 SELinux is a set of kernel patches to enforce ACL's on files. You
20 probably want this + the hardened gcc (ie "hardened" with a little
21 "h"). The only complication is this flux between how the hardened gcc
22 is used
23
24 Actually I wonder if it might be easier to start with grsecurity in the
25 kernel rather than selinux...? At least for us dumbo's who can't read
26 the docs properly? I wonder if it is possible to have grsecurity in the
27 kernel and also selinux...? (especially under 2.6?)
28
29 >But now may I ask: should I use these flags for doing an SELinux install?
30 >They are not mentioned in the SELinux install guide. But I'm trying to
31 >make this system as secure as reasonably possible right now (without
32 >compromising on stability) and so maybe I want a Hardened Gentoo system
33 >with SELinux. If so, should I set up these flags in make.conf before I
34 >run the bootstrap.sh script?
38 Forget about selinux. This is independent to your gcc flags. The other
39 hardened is all about gcc flags. The flags you refer too are
40 "aparently" the old way to do hardened without the hardened-gcc
41 compiler... (See a previous thread a few days back where it was
42 explained to *me*).
43
44 The suggestion I got was to upgrade to the latest stable gcc (3.3.2) and
45 add -fstack-protector to your CFLAGS. Once some time has passed and
46 >=gcc-3.3.3r2 is in stable then you can remove that CFLAG item and
47 replace it with USE="hardened" instead. You could even do that today
48 apparently, but beware some problems with the not fully tested gcc-3.3.3
49
50 So hardened and selinux appear to be complementary. The former refers
51 to how you build your binaries. The later is a kernel patch.
52
53 I'm going to have to stop there though because I am a beginner like
54 yourself, and probably starting to give bogus advice if I go any further.
55
56 Good luck
57
58 Ed W