From: radegand <radegand@××.pl>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Assessing the Tux Strength: Part 2 - Into the Kernel
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:02:35
1 Hi,
2 Thanks for your feedback.
3
4 Dnia 8 września 2010 0:27 pageexec@××××××××.hu napisał(a):
5 >
6 > > On 3 Sep 2010 at 11:56, Daniel Kuehn wrote:
7 >
8 > > The randomisation bit was particularily interesting because as far as I
9 > > understand that is one of the better security measures we can use.
10 >
11 > actually, if you ask me, ASLR is the least useful security feature :P. it's not
12 > even really security, it's mere obfuscation, and it's great when it's works but
13 > it'll never provide guarantees (which is what we prefer in security).
14
15 I'd agree. Nevertheless, IMHO, even if no guarantees can be given, ASLR when done correctly (and together with PIE) makes exploitation way harder and is reasonably (?) easy to implement and maintain. Why making attacker's life easier? ;)
16 >
17 > > Shame on fedora for only 3-bits randomisation for shared libs :P
18 >
19 > a note here: fedora uses exec-shield which maps libraries in two different
20 > regions: ascii-armor (lower 16MB) and the rest. i think what paxtest measured
21 > there is the former where the usable entropy is necessarily less than elsewhere
22 > and may not be representative of real life apps and their address spaces (not
23 > saying the whole ascii-armor region is worth anything for security though ;).
24
25 Seems like I need to find out more about exec-shield then... :)
26 >
27 > PS: when discussing null deref protections, it's worth mentioning UDEREF which
28 > is a tad bit more general and useful than mmap_min_addr ;).
29 >
30 Oopps, yep, I totally missed UDEREF, my bad...!
31
32 Regards,
33 Radek