From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: radegand@××.pl
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Assessing the Tux Strength: Part 2 - Into the Kernel
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 23:02:35
1 On 3 Sep 2010 at 11:56, Daniel Kuehn wrote:
2
3 > The randomisation bit was particularily interesting because as far as I
4 > understand that is one of the better security measures we can use.
5
6 actually, if you ask me, ASLR is the least useful security feature :P. it's not
7 even really security, it's mere obfuscation, and it's great when it's works but
8 it'll never provide guarantees (which is what we prefer in security).
9
10 > Shame on fedora for only 3-bits randomisation for shared libs :P
11
12 a note here: fedora uses exec-shield which maps libraries in two different
13 regions: ascii-armor (lower 16MB) and the rest. i think what paxtest measured
14 there is the former where the usable entropy is necessarily less than elsewhere
15 and may not be representative of real life apps and their address spaces (not
16 saying the whole ascii-armor region is worth anything for security though ;).
17
18 PS: when discussing null deref protections, it's worth mentioning UDEREF which
19 is a tad bit more general and useful than mmap_min_addr ;).