From: Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: docker updates
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 03:19:56
1 On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 08:04:52PM +0200, Alex Efros wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 10:38:34AM -0600, Alex Brandt wrote:
5 > > Somewhat sarcastic but actually true. I don't recommend running
6 > > production applications inside of Gentoo based containers.
7 >
8 > This makes sense for Gentoo, but my question was CC: to this list not as
9 > off-topic, my host will be Hardened Gentoo, so kernel used by docker
10 > images will support GrSecurity&PaX, and I wanna have protection provided
11 > by hardened gcc for binaries run inside docker images.
12 >
13 > > I highly recommend making containers as small as possible. That
14 > > means using statically linked executables and removing all
15 > > traces of what we know as a distribution. Production containers
16 > > should not be based on Gentoo images.
17 >
18 > Okay, not sure why it's so important, but this doesn't change anything -
19 > these statically linked executables without any traces of Gentoo still
20 > should be compiled with hardened gcc.
21 >
22 > > docker pull ${NEW_IMAGE}
23 >
24 > So, what $NEW_IMAGE should be to let me get small nice image with
25 > up-to-date binaries built with hardened gcc? :-)
26
27 I am not that familiar with docker, but I thought the idea was that you
28 build your own container images with your requirements? ie re-build the
29 image just once on only one server and then send it around to all the
30 others.
31
32 Alternatively, if you did not want to re-build the images themselves,
33 you could always setup a gentoo binhost on one machine and make all the
34 other containers pull those packages so there will not be the wasted
35 time compiling.
36
37 -- Jason
38 >