From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: docker updates
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 18:04:58
1 Hi!
2
3 On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 10:38:34AM -0600, Alex Brandt wrote:
4 > Somewhat sarcastic but actually true. I don't recommend running
5 > production applications inside of Gentoo based containers.
6
7 This makes sense for Gentoo, but my question was CC: to this list not as
8 off-topic, my host will be Hardened Gentoo, so kernel used by docker
9 images will support GrSecurity&PaX, and I wanna have protection provided
10 by hardened gcc for binaries run inside docker images.
11
12 > I highly recommend making containers as small as possible. That
13 > means using statically linked executables and removing all
14 > traces of what we know as a distribution. Production containers
15 > should not be based on Gentoo images.
16
17 Okay, not sure why it's so important, but this doesn't change anything -
18 these statically linked executables without any traces of Gentoo still
19 should be compiled with hardened gcc.
20
21 > docker pull ${NEW_IMAGE}
22
23 So, what $NEW_IMAGE should be to let me get small nice image with
24 up-to-date binaries built with hardened gcc? :-)
27 WBR, Alex.