From: RB <aoz.syn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] ping solar
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 15:25:40
1 I have to clarify a few points:
2
3 On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 8:59 AM, 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > Had a conversation with aoz in the hardened IRC room yesterday,
5 > discussing how non-tech types such as I might help the hardened effort;
6 >
7 > 1. He suggested that Bugzilla took a lot of time. How could some of that
8 > time be outsource to a non-techie?
9 In particular, replicating user setups in a clean, scientific manner
10 is what is the most time-consuming.
11
12 > 2. We discussed the possibility of incorporating links to white-paper
13 > "status reports" within the current, very-high-quality,
14 > reluctant-to-tamper-with Gentoo http pages.
15 I only mentioned whitepapers because that was the level of
16 documentation I'm used to writing; status updates probably should
17 never be in that format. IMO, updates should be integrated into the
18 existing documentation.
19
20 > 3. IIUC, the current status is to wait for "upstream" (the gcc folks?)
21 > to successfully incorporate ssp into c++ compilations? And also that with
22 > rare exception, little is loss using the older 3.4.6 compiler?
23 > In those rare cases, gcc can be "slotted" so that 3.4.6 would be the
24 > default, but 4.x could be called to duty when 3.4.6 won't work?
25 I'm actually looking for a primary source on the 4.x ssp-for-c++ bit,
26 if anyone has good links. I have everything solar's told us in
27 #-hardened, but people tend to not take third-hand IRC logs too
28 seriously.
29
30 Probably the first way to help this would be an update to the FAQ
31 addressing the constant "why don't we have 4.x, and don't tell me
32 3.4.6 is good enough" question. Not that the OP did that, but many
33 people have. For that matter, many of the docs are slightly
34 out-of-date and could use some TLC. Who would commit the updates if I
35 provided a diff?
36 --
37 gentoo-hardened@l.g.o mailing list