From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Martin Bene <martin.bene@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Removal of hardened-gcc
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:54:21
1 On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 12:18, Martin Bene wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Looks like support for hardened-gcc was dropped/removed a few days ago
5 > with release of "dummy" hardened-gcc 5.0.
6 >
7 > For me, this is a fairly drastic and unexpected change - I hadn't heared
8 > anything about end-of-life for hardened gcc previously.
9 >
10 > Also, from reading the bugtracker, it looks like there's supposed to be
11 > a replacement for the functionality available in a few weeks?
14 > For now, change of make.conf compiler flags is proposed as a workaround?
15 >
16 > So, could someone please tell me
17 > - What flags are suggested for make.conf
18
19 In the purest form.
20
21 /etc/make.conf
22 CFLAGS="-fPIC -fstack-protector"
23 LDFLAGS="-pie"
24
25 My FLAGS are a bit more agressive and mileage may very.
26 CFLAGS="-fPIC -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -fstack-protector-all"
27 LDFLAGS="-pie -Wl,-z,now"
28
29 If your using kernel supports PT_PAX_FLAGS you might even want to
30 selectively enable. LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} -Wl,-z,noexecstack
31 -Wl,-z,noexecheap"
32
33 Note:
34 {C{,XX},LD}FLAGS is an inferior solution and chances are you will end up
35 with text relocations where hgcc could prevent them. So carefully review
36 your installed binaries post install. I'm not sure but perhaps
37 ASFLAGS="-K PIC" will help fix the text relocation problem showing up
38 when doing this via make.conf
39
40 > - How will this work with packages like lilo that previosuly didn't
41 > work with hardened-gcc and had extra flags set in their ebuilds to turn
42 > off hardened gcc?
45 It will probably break most boot loaders or any code thats making use of
46 -nostdlib. I committed a fix for grub yesterday so we know that one
47 works. glibc stable will probably bomb. I'd like it if somebody could
48 confirm the ~arch fix I committed yesterday before I touch the stable
49 glibc.
50
51 > Personaly, I'd have prefered a smoother transition with
52 > - some information on gentoo-hardened prior to disabling hardened-gcc
53 > - leaving it in place until a replacement is actually available
56 Most of us would have here. I think the fundamental reason for this was
57 hgcc not staying in sync with gcc versions while upgrading from the
58 3.2.x. pappy@g.o should be able to explain his motivation for masking
59 the package. He added the dummy script upon request to aid in a smoother
60 transition.
61
62 > Thanks, for your time,
63 >