From: Martin Bene <martin.bene@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Removal of hardened-gcc
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:18:50
1 Hi,
2
3 Looks like support for hardened-gcc was dropped/removed a few days ago
4 with release of "dummy" hardened-gcc 5.0.
5
6 For me, this is a fairly drastic and unexpected change - I hadn't heared
7 anything about end-of-life for hardened gcc previously.
8
9 Also, from reading the bugtracker, it looks like there's supposed to be
10 a replacement for the functionality available in a few weeks?
11
12 For now, change of make.conf compiler flags is proposed as a workaround?
13
14 So, could someone please tell me
15 - What flags are suggested for make.conf
16 - How will this work with packages like lilo that previosuly didn't
17 work with hardened-gcc and had extra flags set in their ebuilds to turn
18 off hardened gcc?
19
20 Personaly, I'd have prefered a smoother transition with
21 - some information on gentoo-hardened prior to disabling hardened-gcc
22 - leaving it in place until a replacement is actually available
23
24 Thanks, for your time,
25
26 Martin