From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened workstation - is that worth it?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:41:54
1 Hi!
2
3 On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 06:39:26PM +0200, Jan Klod wrote:
4 > Could you post a list of apps, that need PaX lifted?
5
6 Most of this already done by portage when emerging apps, so you rarely
7 need to do this manually. Few examples come in my mind is operawrapper for
8 running complex Flash/Flex applications; mplayer for playing files in
9 windows-related formats using codecs in .dll (media-libs/win32codecs);
10 and OS Inferno which is virtual machine like Java but compiled manually
11 (probably I'll create ebuild for it later).
12
13 Also you have to switch off one item in kernel configuration (compared to
14 typical config on servers):
15 Security options ---> Grsecurity ---> Address Space Protection --->
16 [ ] Disable privileged I/O
17 and may need to enable loadable modules support (also switched off on
18 servers) to work with VMware or binary NVidia drivers etc.
19
20 > Also there is another question: has anyone made some benchmarks to see how
21 > much raw computing power (CPU+RAM access, which happen during some purely
22 > computational task) decreases?
23
24 There some available on internet, just google for it. AFAIR there was 2-5%
25 slowdown compared to non-hardened system.
26 I did my own tests several years ago when switching to hardened - same
27 results: 2% slowdown for most operations, compiling a little more slower.
28
29 Nothing noticeable on workstation to worry about unless you have ancient
30 hardware which play mp3s using 100% CPU and will lag if you do anything
31 else at same time. :)
34 WBR, Alex.