From: Jan Klod <janklodvan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened workstation - is that worth it?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 19:52:06
1 On Tuesday 25 November 2008 17:56:41 Alex Efros wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 05:00:45PM +0200, Jan Klod wrote:
5 > > Suppose, I want to take some extra precautions and set up PaX&co and MAC
6 > > on a workstation with Xorg and other nice KDE apps (only some of which
7 > > should be granted access to files in folder X). I would like to read
8 > > others opinion, if I can get considerable security improvements or I will
9 > > have to make that much of exceptions to those good rules, as it makes
10 > > protection too useless?
11 >
12 > Not sure about MAC, but GrSec + PaX + hardened toolchain is nice to have.
13 > Unlike MAC, it's ease to setup, and there only few applications require
14 > some weakening of security (using paxctl).
15 > I use hardened workstation configured this way for years.
16
17 Could you post a list of apps, that need PaX lifted?
18
19 Also there is another question: has anyone made some benchmarks to see how
20 much raw computing power (CPU+RAM access, which happen during some purely
21 computational task) decreases?