From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Michael Reilly <michaelr@×××××.com>
Cc: Hardened Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-hardened@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Call for policy and devs (was: qmail on selinux)
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 03:49:19
1 On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 15:18, Michael Reilly wrote:
2 > I also notice that gentoo sets up the user's slightly differently than NSA -
3 > gentoo has the username in the context for staff_r, for example. Any other
4 > things I should know about?
5
6 Ok, there is one other thing. I've been trying to clean up the
7 inconsistencies of type names. There's mainly two areas that are
8 messes, var types and etc types. Examples are blah_var_run_t vs.
9 var_run_blah_t, or blah_etc_t vs. etc_blah_t vs blah_conf_t.
10
11 The way I've been trying to standardize it, is that if there is a
12 specific type, then the daemon-specific type should be prefixed:
13
14 cupsd for example:
15 var_run_t -> cupsd_var_run_t, not var_run_cupsd_t.
16 etc_t -> cupsd_conf_t or cupsd_etc_t, not etc_cupsd_t. (I prefer the
17 conf one for config files)
18
19 The catch is that could make it slightly more irritating when taking
20 policy from the NSA policy. Also, with more and more policy going into
21 portage, it could become increasingly difficult to clean up. So if you
22 submit a policy with one of the odd named types, don't be surprised if
23 the policy in portage is fixed up.
26 Chris PeBenito
27 <pebenito@g.o>
28 Developer,
29 Hardened Gentoo Linux
30 Embedded Gentoo Linux
31
32 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
33 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243