From: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] How do I use grSecurity mandatory access control?
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 20:48:49
1 On Tue, 9 May 2006, Alex Efros wrote:
2
3 > Hi!
4 >
5 > On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 07:26:54PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
6 > > > * How do I make a policy?
7 > > > * Are there reference policies? In that case, where can I get them?
8 > > > * How do I check a policy for correctness?
9 > > > * Where can I find more documentation (I found more documentation on
10 > > > the kernel side of things than on the access control)?
11 > > Your questions would start a huge thread if we begun at this level
12 > > without you doing some homework first.
13 >
14 > Yeah. But I don't think it's bad idea. Problem with RBAC and grlearn is
15 > what there no single place with comprehensive yet simple enough HOWTO's,
16 > policy examples, etc.
17 >
18 > > learning modes. It's quite intuitive to administer once you get the
19 > > initial hang of it.
20 >
21 > You right!!! After I try learning mode first time I found it very
22 > intuitive... but after I've activated rules produced by "learning mode"
23 > my system "hang" and I have to press RESET button. :)
24 >
25 > So I delay learning how to use learning mode without locking my system
26 > for better time. :(
27 >
28 > So, if somebody will summarize all documentation sources you mention -
29 > I'll be really happy.
30 >
31 > P.S. I _had_ read both urls you mention, at least three times each, :)
32 > and searched google/gmane too, but this was about year ago.
33 >
34 > P.P.S. AFAIK SELinux has much more rich documentation and a lot of
35 > predefined policy, but my intuition says what there something wrong
36 > with SELinux and I prefer to use RBAC as soon as I found enough
37 > documentation. (I don't used SELinux myself, so probably my intuition
38 > feeling based mostly on articles/posts readed on GrSecurity-related sites
39 > and some posts about SELinux in this maillist...)
40
41 I have some "predefined policies" but I haven't ever tested them in a
42 pure gentoo environment (I do not use gentoo in "production environment"),
43 if you want them as startup and will provide the gentoo counterparts, I
44 will send them to you (read the earlier __carefully__, if you are not
45 able/not willing to provide them, then it was the last time I am doing
46 this, I am not willing to support any of them and do any of the needed
47 tests to work in conjunction w/ gentoo)
48
49 Peter
52 Peter S. Mazinger <ps dot m at gmx dot net> ID: 0xA5F059F2
53 Key fingerprint = 92A4 31E1 56BC 3D5A 2D08 BB6E C389 975E A5F0 59F2
56 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list