From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: for hard list <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Tips for upgrading to the current stable gentoo hardened?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 00:02:46
1 On 06/29/11 17:39, Tom Hendrikx wrote:
2 > On 29/06/11 16:47, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
5 >> 2. At this point, the 'clearest' way to build a hardened box from
6 >> scratch seems to go a few steps into the Gentoo handbook, then
7 >> migrate using the steps above. Not ideal, but until the
8 >> documentation can be refined, how about either putting these steps
9 >> into the handbook, or alternatively a reference *in the handbook*
10 >> to wherever you find a home for these steps (e.g. QandA).
11 >
12 > I built a hardened box last week by grabbing a hardened autobuild,
13 > then following the regular handbook for my arch. Above steps are only
14 > needed when you start from a regular stage, or when you are
15 > converting a regular install.
16 >
17 > Usage of autobuilds is missing in the handbook now, but iirc there
18 > are some open bugs on getting this changed.
19 >
20 > -- Regards, Tom
24 Geeze... I've built a couple of hardened boxes from scratch; most
25 recently two or three years ago; never *heard* of autobuild. Maybe my
26 experience precedes it (I was using experimental.org).
27
28 Perhaps the perfect (as in the traditionally excellent Gentoo
29 documentation) has become the enemy of the good (the documentation of the
30 autobuild is good, but not perfect enough to be entered into official docs.)
31
32 If "Q and A" is now the official hardened documentation, then 'twould be
33 nice if someone put a couple of imperfect sentences in there about
34 autobuild.
35
36 Good to know; so autobuilds are probably the clearest way to build a
37 hardened box. Thanks for posting.
38
39 (p.s. I think of ALL of the work that Zorry, Blueness, and a myriad of
40 other folks put into bringing Hardened Gentoo up to date - truly
41 *heroic* contributions - and I now fear that a lack of documentation will
42 result in a loss of the benefit of all of that work)
43
44 killall rant