From: Tom Hendrikx <tom@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Tips for upgrading to the current stable gentoo hardened?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:02:42
1 On 29/06/11 16:47, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
2 > On 06/29/11 07:19, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >
4 > [snip]
7 >> The safest approach in either switching or recompiling everything
8 >> is:
9 >>
10 >> 1. Make the profile is set "eselect profile list" and pick your
11 >> hardened box. Careful on amd64 about changing multilib/nomultilib.
12 >> Stick with your mutilib-edness (if such a word exists :)
13 >>
14 >> 2. Rebuild the tool chain: emerge binutils glibc gcc
15 >>
16 >> 3. Rebuild system: emerge --keep-going -eq system (note anything
17 >> that fails you might want to file a bug)
18 >>
19 >> 4. Rebuild world: emerge --keep-going -eq world (again not any
20 >> failures, shouldn't happen else we're not doing our job)
21 >>
22 >> system vs world = system is just the bare minimum packages that any
23 >> box running that profile needs. world = system + what you've added.
24 >> You can skip step 3, but there might be a chance of mixing
25 >> unhardened/hardened stuff if you do, but I'm not 100% sure.
28 > Thank You!
29 >
30 > 1. Is there some way this clear, succinct list could get into the
31 > hardened documentation?
32 >
33 > 2. At this point, the 'clearest' way to build a hardened box from scratch
34 > seems to go a few steps into the Gentoo handbook, then migrate using the
35 > steps above. Not ideal, but until the documentation can be refined, how
36 > about either putting these steps into the handbook, or alternatively a
37 > reference *in the handbook* to wherever you find a home for these steps
38 > (e.g. QandA).
39
40 I built a hardened box last week by grabbing a hardened autobuild, then
41 following the regular handbook for my arch. Above steps are only needed
42 when you start from a regular stage, or when you are converting a
43 regular install.
44
45 Usage of autobuilds is missing in the handbook now, but iirc there are
46 some open bugs on getting this changed.
49 Regards,
50 Tom