From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Tips for upgrading to the current stable gentoo hardened?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 02:02:43
1 On 06/29/2011 05:39 PM, Tom Hendrikx wrote:
2 > On 29/06/11 16:47, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
3 >> On 06/29/11 07:19, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
4 >>
5 >> [snip]
6 >>
7 >>>
8 >>> The safest approach in either switching or recompiling everything
9 >>> is:
10 >>>
11 >>> 1. Make the profile is set "eselect profile list" and pick your
12 >>> hardened box. Careful on amd64 about changing multilib/nomultilib.
13 >>> Stick with your mutilib-edness (if such a word exists :)
14 >>>
15 >>> 2. Rebuild the tool chain: emerge binutils glibc gcc
16 >>>
17 >>> 3. Rebuild system: emerge --keep-going -eq system (note anything
18 >>> that fails you might want to file a bug)
19 >>>
20 >>> 4. Rebuild world: emerge --keep-going -eq world (again not any
21 >>> failures, shouldn't happen else we're not doing our job)
22 >>>
23 >>> system vs world = system is just the bare minimum packages that any
24 >>> box running that profile needs. world = system + what you've added.
25 >>> You can skip step 3, but there might be a chance of mixing
26 >>> unhardened/hardened stuff if you do, but I'm not 100% sure.
27 >>>
28 >>
29 >> Thank You!
30 >>
31 >> 1. Is there some way this clear, succinct list could get into the
32 >> hardened documentation?
33 >>
34 >> 2. At this point, the 'clearest' way to build a hardened box from scratch
35 >> seems to go a few steps into the Gentoo handbook, then migrate using the
36 >> steps above. Not ideal, but until the documentation can be refined, how
37 >> about either putting these steps into the handbook, or alternatively a
38 >> reference *in the handbook* to wherever you find a home for these steps
39 >> (e.g. QandA).
40 >
41 > I built a hardened box last week by grabbing a hardened autobuild, then
42 > following the regular handbook for my arch. Above steps are only needed
43 > when you start from a regular stage, or when you are converting a
44 > regular install.
45 >
46 > Usage of autobuilds is missing in the handbook now, but iirc there are
47 > some open bugs on getting this changed.
48 >
49 > --
50 > Regards,
51 > Tom
52
53 That's correct, these are instructions for switching from vanilla or if
54 you want to *very* safely recompile everything making sure you get
55 hardened. It is the most conservative path but also very time consuming.
56
57 If you're starting from scratch, just grab the latest stage3 *hardened*
58 tarball, start building your system from there and save yourself the
59 time. You will gain nothing but recompiling the tool chain and
60 system/world.
63 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
64 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
65 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
66 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
67 GnuPG ID : D0455535