From: Kevin <gentoo-hardened@××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Current proposed way of installing gentoo hardened
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 01:42:47
1 On Thursday 29 April 2004 19:03, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 18:24, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
3 > > >after untarring the stage1 tarball
4 > > >(stage1-pentium4-pie-ssp-2004.0.tar.bz2), there is no
5 > > >directory /mnt/gentoo/selinux to use as a mountpoint for an
6 > > > selinuxfs (as
7 > >
8 > > I guess that is because you used the hardened stage 1, not the
9 > > selinux stage 1 ! I think hardened doesn't need selinux? As in they
10 > > are not equivalent (part of the same team though)
11
12 Uh... sorry, but I'm confused here.
13
14 I was in the middle of reading
15 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1 under "Is
16 GRP Available?" and it mentions the Gentoo Hardened project:
17
18 "The _Gentoo Hardened_ project offers their own GRP set (and stages)
19 focused on building a proactively secure system. Anyone looking to build
20 a server on the x86 architecture should investigate this option."
21
22 That last sentence describes me, so I go there...
23
24 So I follow the _Gentoo Hardened_ link which points to
25 http://hardened.gentoo.org from which I get redirected to
26 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/
27
28 Here I see a link: _SELinux x86 Install Guide_ which I followed.
29
30 And now I'm at that URL that I originally listed as my source of docs for
31 doing this install.
32
33 I started with the liveCD mentioned in that URL:
34
35 "So, how does one begin the install process? First, you will want to
36 decide which one of our LiveCD ISO images to grab from
37 http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/experimental/x86/livecd/"
38
39 I went here, then to x86, then got the latest one,
40 livecd-2004.0-x86-selinux-nostages-20040227.iso
41
42 I don't see any other option there that looks likely to get me an SELinux
43 boot CD. Am I missing something? Seeing the fact that the filename
44 mentions that there are no stages, I figure I need to get a stage file so
45 I download stage1-x86-pie-ssp-2004.0.tar.bz2 from
46 http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/releases/x86/2004.0/stages/x86/hardened/
47 and use that.
48
49 Up to this point, have I gone wrong somewhere?
50
51 After this, I'm just following along in the docs that originally got me
52 started with Hardened, specifically,
53 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/selinux-x86-install.xml
54
55 When the docs tell me to use the stage on the cd, I ignore them (since
56 there are no stages and the iso filename confirms this for me) and get my
57 own as above. Have I gone wrong somewhere?
58
59 And now, as I'm trying to bootstrap using the make.conf file settings that
60 I originally asked about, I'm getting several failures with complaints
61 about the LDFLAGS setting (-W,-z,...). Am I doing something wrong here
62 mixing Hardened and SELinux? I see they're different, but how do I build
63 a Gentoo system with the best security currently available (and stable).
64 I would think that SELinux would be involved. Am I wrong?
65
66 <snip>
67
68 > Documentation.. Sigh yeah I suppose you all want this, I can't blame
69 > you either. For now let me point you at the pax docs at
70 > http://pax.grsecurity.net/docs/ (READ ALL OF THIS!) then when you get
71 > done there go read http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/
72 > We really want everybody to understand the concepts of why we opt to
73 > build this way.
74 >
75 > I'll try and see if we can muster up a quick start or two in this
76 > respect when it's time for us to roll those stages.
77
78 Um... I'm trying to build a production server here. Should I stay away
79 from this stuff? It sounds like kinks and problems and documentation are
80 still being worked out. If I want a Gentoo server and I want it to be
81 providing public services on the Internet (albeit through a firewall),
82 what plan should I be using here (ie, what combination of boot CD image,
83 stage1 tarball, and documentation URL should I be using?)? I've already
84 uncovered a bug in the ebuild for the gs_sources kernel (involving the
85 Device Mapper patch) which is supposedly for production servers. I'm
86 starting to get the impression that Gentoo is just not ready (with or
87 without Hardened or SELinux) for production servers, and almost certainly
88 not with Hardened or SELinux. Could someone give me the skinny on this?
89 Am I barking up the wrong tree trying to use Gentoo to build a production
90 server? Though I'm no developer, I am a reasonably sophisticated Linux
91 geek with about 9 years doing sysadmin on Linux boxen, and I'm having
92 real problems here. Should I go back to SuSE? I really do like the
93 concept of ebuilds and portage in Gentoo, and see these as being a huge
94 improvement on the other distributions, but I need a stable production
95 server. With that as a goal, should I stay away from Gentoo for the time
96 being? Or maybe just stay away from Gentoo Hardened and/or SELinux for
97 now?
98
99 Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
103 -Kevin
106 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list