From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Kevin <gentoo-hardened@××××××.biz>, gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Current proposed way of installing gentoo hardened
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:04:56
1 On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 18:24, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
2 > >after untarring the stage1 tarball
3 > >(stage1-pentium4-pie-ssp-2004.0.tar.bz2), there is no
4 > >directory /mnt/gentoo/selinux to use as a mountpoint for an selinuxfs (as
8 > I guess that is because you used the hardened stage 1, not the selinux
9 > stage 1 ! I think hardened doesn't need selinux? As in they are not
10 > equivalent (part of the same team though)
11 >
12 > >I used these settings (below) for my make.conf before running
13 > >bootstrap.sh. Should I redo this step using the settings described in
14 > >this thread?
18 > If you see the recent threads, Chris PeBenito has kindly written some
19 > good advice to me about similar questions. I think the gist is that
20 > previously there was a hardened-gcc ebuild which did all this stuff. In
21 > the future you will use >= gcc 3.3.3-r3 and USE="hardened" to get the
22 > same effect. But right now you need some conbination of gcc and those
23 > flags, and perhaps some voodoo to make it all work. I got the
24 > impression that the use flag stuff was on it's way though
25
26 Correct >=gcc-3.3.3-r2 includes support.
27 It's however not quite perfect yet and thus not ready for full
28 production. We have a few pending things left to do and then we can make
29 new profiles roll stages etc.. Early adopters welcome to mess around
30 just be warned that it's not our final implementation.
31
32 Documentation.. Sigh yeah I suppose you all want this, I can't blame you
33 either. For now let me point you at the pax docs at
34 http://pax.grsecurity.net/docs/ (READ ALL OF THIS!) then when you get
35 done there go read http://www.trl.ibm.com/projects/security/ssp/
36 We really want everybody to understand the concepts of why we opt to
37 build this way.
38
39 I'll try and see if we can muster up a quick start or two in this
40 respect when it's time for us to roll those stages.
41
42 -peace
45 > Good luck. I'm interested to hear any better answers myself!
46 >
47 > Thanks
48 >
49 > Ed W
50 >
51 > --
52 > gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list
53 --
54 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
55 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer