From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Gentoo installer vs current installation method, what about later?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:34:08
John Walsh wrote:
> Ok, but will the CD still ahve everything it had before, or will you be removing stuff to make > room for X and all of that? If so, as I suspect, what will be taken out? Is there a place where > people can look at what will be removed and maybe vote on what needs to stay?
Everything that was on the universal will be on the X-LiveCD with the exception of stages. Instead, the installer can build a stage3 on-the-fly from the packages on the LiveCD itself. While this is currently much slower than using a stage3 tarball, we're working on speeding it up. And no, we won't put a stage3 tarball back on the LiveCD. There simply isn't the room. We had a hard enough time fitting the portage snapshot on there while still keeping most (no KDE) of the standard GRP set. -- Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/ Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project -- gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list