From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Collision in 2006.0 GTK+ installer..
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 13:59:59
On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 15:07 +0200, Ladislav Laska wrote:
> Maybe pre-calculate dependecies and fix errors?...User-selected > packages should be preffered.
Actually, a solution *might* be to *not* install the syslogger and cron daemon before "extra packages". Funny enough, portage is kinda brain dead. Check this out: # emerge -vp vixie-cron postfix These are the packages that I would merge, in order: Calculating dependencies ...done! [blocks B ] mail-mta/ssmtp (is blocking mail-mta/postfix-2.2.10) [ebuild N ] sys-process/cronbase-0.3.2 0 kB [ebuild N ] net-mail/mailbase-1 +pam 0 kB [ebuild N ] mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61 +ipv6 -mailwrapper -md5sum +ssl 0 kB [ebuild N ] sys-process/vixie-cron-4.1-r8 -debug +pam (-selinux) 0 kB [ebuild N ] dev-util/pkgconfig-0.20 -hardened 0 kB [ebuild N ] dev-libs/libpcre-6.3 -doc 0 kB [ebuild N ] mail-mta/postfix-2.2.10 -cdb -hardened +ipv6 -ldap -mailwrapper -mbox -mysql -nis +pam -postgres -sasl (-selinux) +ssl -vda 0 kB Total size of downloads: 0 kB # emerge -vp postfix vixie-cron These are the packages that I would merge, in order: Calculating dependencies ...done! [ebuild N ] net-mail/mailbase-1 +pam 0 kB [ebuild N ] dev-util/pkgconfig-0.20 -hardened 0 kB [ebuild N ] dev-libs/libpcre-6.3 -doc 0 kB [ebuild N ] mail-mta/postfix-2.2.10 -cdb -hardened +ipv6 -ldap -mailwrapper -mbox -mysql -nis +pam -postgres -sasl (-selinux) +ssl -vda 0 kB [ebuild N ] sys-process/cronbase-0.3.2 0 kB [ebuild N ] sys-process/vixie-cron-4.1-r8 -debug +pam (-selinux) 0 kB There were no changes made between the above two emerge calls. This is from an extracted stage3 with nothing else. I tested this with both portage 2.0.54 and 2.0.54-r2 and both get the same failure. Even portage 2.1_rc2 gets the same error. The problem is in how portage processes its dependency tree, really. Instead of processing each called package in order, it really should be taking them as a whole. It should not matter if I am using "emerge vixie-cron postfix" or "emerge postfix vixie-cron", but it does. This is a problem with our current virtuals system and how portage handles them. It also likely won't be fixed any time soon, unfortunately.
> Or just make postfix default MTA
This will never happen. The second we change from ssmtp, some jackass will want it switched to sendmail, then someone else will want exim. A MTA is one of those things that people get rabidly obsessive over having *their* version as default, almost as much as editors. The simple solution is for us to just stick by our guns and to not change it. Of course, we could also add a nice note in the Handbook to tell people to select "mailwrapper" for USE if they plan on adding an MTA, but the Handbook (networked version) hasn't even been updated for the Installer, and the USE selection screen is disabled for using GRP/networkless.
> On 5/24/06, Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o> wrote: > > Sieb, Glenn E (Glenn) wrote: > > > Greetings! > > > > > > If, using the GUI installer, you check Postfix as an optional package to install (I haven't tried other MTAs yet), ssmtp is _still_ installed and then collides with Postfix, causing the install to "fail." > > > > > > T'is a minor thing, as it's just as easy once the install is done to unmerge ssmtp and emerge postfix, I but thought someone should be made aware about the gotcha. > > > > It's a known issue with a known cause. We just haven't figured out a good > > solution, yet. > > > > -- > > Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/ > > Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project > > -- > > gentoo-installer@g.o mailing list > > > > > > > -- > Regards Ladislav Laska > S pozdravem Ladislav Laska >
-- Chris Gianelloni Release Engineering - Strategic Lead x86 Architecture Team Games - Developer Gentoo Linux