From: Matt Bucknall <matt_bucknall@××××××××.uk>
To: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] CLASSPATH deprecated?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:17:08
1 Okay. Thanks for the help.
4 Petteri Räty wrote:
5 > Matt Bucknall kirjoitti:
6 >
7 >> Hi Federico,
8 >>
9 >> Thanks for your reply. My understanding is that java-config is specific
10 >> to Gentoo. I assume then, there is no cross-platform means of finding
11 >> out whether/where libraries are installed automatically (i.e. for use by
12 >> some installation process). Is it normal practice when deploying a Java
13 >> application to include all the JARs that it needs so not to rely on the
14 >> end-user having some packages already pre-installed?
15 >>
16 >> Thanks again,
17 >> Matt.
22 > Nope, not in the java world. Hopefully we will have something like
23 > auto*, pkg-config etc in the java world too some day. It seems to be
24 > very usual for upstreams to include all the dependencies inside their
25 > source packages but the Linux distributions would appreciate if you also
26 > distributed a src tarball without these dependencies to save bandwidth
27 > and disk space. Packages are not going to use the bundled stuff.
28 >
29 > Regards,
30 > Petteri Räty (Betelgeuse
34 Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com