From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] CLASSPATH deprecated?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:17:52
1 Matt Bucknall kirjoitti:
2 > Hi Federico,
3 >
4 > Thanks for your reply. My understanding is that java-config is specific
5 > to Gentoo. I assume then, there is no cross-platform means of finding
6 > out whether/where libraries are installed automatically (i.e. for use by
7 > some installation process). Is it normal practice when deploying a Java
8 > application to include all the JARs that it needs so not to rely on the
9 > end-user having some packages already pre-installed?
10 >
11 > Thanks again,
12 > Matt.
16 Nope, not in the java world. Hopefully we will have something like
17 auto*, pkg-config etc in the java world too some day. It seems to be
18 very usual for upstreams to include all the dependencies inside their
19 source packages but the Linux distributions would appreciate if you also
20 distributed a src tarball without these dependencies to save bandwidth
21 and disk space. Packages are not going to use the bundled stuff.
22
23 Regards,
24 Petteri Räty (Betelgeuse