From: Thomas Matthijs <axxo@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] axxo-overlay: Request for comments/tests/feedback
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:20:39
> I don't have time to dig into the overlay right now, but I have the > following feedback: > > 1. Thanks for doing this! It is HIGH TIME we got 1.5 unmasked and > "stable" in the main tree. Not to mention the other things, > which are useful/important. > 2. Regarding bug #86900: As another comment asks in the bug > history, is this one necessary if you're implementing #86903 > anyway?
Yes, since there are still packages that don't build with 1.5, (new methods, etc). And since we do not have to resources to patch them, we can just force it to use a 1.4 one, untill upstream releases a new version, or someone patches it, this way it does not block/hold back the rest, like the case is now. It also allows for when you have a 1.4 as system-vm, and package needs 1.5 features. Also, the launcher wrapper to run java apps uses the same base to switch vm in the abose case (1.4 user/system vm, starting an app that needs 1.5)
> 3. The TODO file is a little terse in places... enough so that I'm > not sure we could help without having much prior context.
Yeah, most of it kind of requires you to know how the eclass works and the java-config & friends. And when I craeted the todo list it was only for me personaly You can always message me on irc, if you want to work on anything, i'd be happy to give a more detailed explainastion I might explain things a bit better in it, the next few days. Thanks -- Thomas Matthijs (axxo, knu) -- gentoo-java@g.o mailing list