From: Ted Kosan <tkosan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Re: Gentoo installation instructions for newbies
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:45:30
1 Wiktor wrote:
2
3 > Your document seem to be a fine complementary material to the Gentoo docs,
4 > and contains a lot of useful introductory information about Unix and Linux
5 > (partitioning, filesystem hierarchy and navigation, terminal abstraction,
6 > shell variables, etc.) But I really doubt this would be a viable competitor
7 > against existing Gentoo docs with regard to installation.
8
9 First, thank you for your comments, I appreciate them :-)
10
11 Perhaps I should provide a bit more information about the materials. They are
12 not designed to be a replacement for the Handbook, but rather they provide an
13 option for Gentoo newbies who have no where near the background needed to
14 successfully install Gentoo using the Handbook.
15
16 For the past few years, I have taught a university class where I lead freshman
17 ( who know very little about computers ) through the Gentoo installation
18 process. I discovered that without my help, almost none of them were able to
19 successfully use the Handbook to install Gentoo by themselves.
20
21 The materials I developed mostly contain the extra information I gave them to
22 enable them to successfully install Gentoo.
23
24 I am presently teaching a distance learning course to local High School
25 students using the materials and they are moving through the installation
26 process quite well. I even have a 13 year old installing Gentoo using the
27 materials with very few problems :-)
28
29 My thought is that if the materials are helpful for computer newbies, they may
30 also be helpful for Java developers who are Linux and Gentoo newbies.
31
32 Thanks :-)
33
34 Ted