From: thomas blomme <blommethomas@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Re: Gentoo installation instructions for newbies
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 08:16:29
1 2007/2/20, Ted Kosan <tkosan@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > Wiktor wrote:
4 >
5 > > Your document seem to be a fine complementary material to the Gentoo
6 > docs,
7 > > and contains a lot of useful introductory information about Unix and
8 > Linux
9 > > (partitioning, filesystem hierarchy and navigation, terminal
10 > abstraction,
11 > > shell variables, etc.) But I really doubt this would be a viable
12 > competitor
13 > > against existing Gentoo docs with regard to installation.
14 >
15 > First, thank you for your comments, I appreciate them :-)
16 >
17 > Perhaps I should provide a bit more information about the materials. They
18 > are
19 > not designed to be a replacement for the Handbook, but rather they provide
20 > an
21 > option for Gentoo newbies who have no where near the background needed to
22 > successfully install Gentoo using the Handbook.
25 I was a newbie when I installed Gentoo for the first time. I got to know
26 gentoo from my father who had installed it a few months earlier. I got a
27 personal computer from him, a pretty old one :D but he's still working with
28 gentoo on top.
29 During my installation I was prety stubborn and I did not ask my dad for
30 help. It is however true that I encountered problems during my
31 installation. To solve them i had to ask questions in the Gentoo Forum
32 quite often, if this questions would be solved by reading through your
33 manual that would be very nice(I haven't at the time of writing but I'll do
34 it in the next days). Especially the fact that when you wan't to shutdown
35 your pc during the installation, you don't have to start all over again is
36 something that should be mentioned.
39 For the past few years, I have taught a university class where I lead
40 > freshman
41 > ( who know very little about computers ) through the Gentoo installation
42 > process. I discovered that without my help, almost none of them were able
44 > successfully use the Handbook to install Gentoo by themselves.
45 >
46 > The materials I developed mostly contain the extra information I gave them
48 > enable them to successfully install Gentoo.
49 >
50 > I am presently teaching a distance learning course to local High School
51 > students using the materials and they are moving through the installation
52 > process quite well. I even have a 13 year old installing Gentoo using the
53 > materials with very few problems :-)
54 >
55 My thought is that if the materials are helpful for computer newbies, they
56 > may
57 > also be helpful for Java developers who are Linux and Gentoo newbies.
58 >
59 > Thanks :-)
60 >
61 > Ted