From: David Herron <David.Herron@×××.COM>
To: Greg Tassone <greg@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Java Open Source - was: Re: Sun JDK fetching
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 02:09:20
1 Greg, thank you for your reply.
2
3 We have said through several people at several times, for Java we
4 will be using an OSI-approved license. I haven't heard that a
5 license choice has been made. But the team is, so far as I've seen,
6 very intent on adopting a proper open source attitude and project set-
7 up. Not that it will be that way out of the gate ... we have a long
8 history behind us with institutional wisdom surrounding the processes
9 we've been following. I don't think you can just throw a big switch
10 and instantly make everything open-source-purist. FWIW, what will be
11 released "soon" is the VM (or was it just HotSpot?), javac and
12 javahelp. Other pieces will be coming later on.
13
14 An example is the Open Solaris process which took 5 yrs before they
15 were able to even launch the beginning of the open source project,
16 and then it was several months beyond that of getting pieces in
17 place, governance settled, etc.
18
19 I sincerely hope we do this properly as well.
20
21 If you guys have any thoughts, desires, advice, etc about how we're
22 doing this let me know.
23
24 - David Herron
25