From: Greg Tassone <greg@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Re: Sun JDK fetching
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 18:33:49
1 Great response... thanks for taking the time -- I was about to do so
2 myself.
3
4 On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 08:49 -0700, David Herron wrote:
5 > Actually we are offering Sun's JDK under a free license that allows
6 > any Solaris or Linux distribution to redistribute the binary. I've
7 > been working with Joshua and Karl to help/advise them on integrating
8 > Sun's JDK with Gentoo under that new license.
9
10 Thanks for assisting the Gentoo distro (and therefore all of us) in this
11 way.
14 > I just read the email thread you're responding
15 > to, and it was a painful walk down memory lane. ...
16 > Hopefully between the DLJ license and the imminent
17 > beginning for open source Java, that we can put all the past pain
18 > behind us.
19
20 I hope *strongly* for the same. I observe a huge amount of
21 idealogical-based dislike of the Java platform/language in the Open
22 Source world. IMO, the overarching reason for this is due to current
23 licensing issues. Without commenting on the merits of that view, I
24 eagerly hope for the day I can have a straight-forward, unencumbered
25 technical discussion with such folks on the massive value of Java. At
26 least then our technical flame-wars can be based on the appropriate
27 topic. ;-)
28
29 Here's to the future. I hope Sun walks openly and properly into this
30 new era (chooses a good OSI license, etc.) within the next month or two.
31 If so, IMHO, Java will become a dominating force across the Open Source
32 world as it has in other walks of life.
33
34 ~ Greg