From: David Herron <David.Herron@×××.COM>
To: Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Re: Sun JDK fetching
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 15:50:02
1 Actually we are offering Sun's JDK under a free license that allows
2 any Solaris or Linux distribution to redistribute the binary. I've
3 been working with Joshua and Karl to help/advise them on integrating
4 Sun's JDK with Gentoo under that new license.
5
6 The new license .. the DLJ .. Distribution License for Java or
7 something like that .. is meant to enable an operating system
8 redistributor, like Gentoo, to easily incorporate Sun's JDK with
9 their OS distribution. The work for Gentoo is in Gentoo's package
10 system now and there are instructions on the gentoo.org web site in
11 the Java user guide on how to install Sun's JDK alongside other
12 JDK's. I understand the bits are still in the unstable branch.
13
14 You can learn about the license and the program at http://jdk-
15 distros.dev.java.net/
16
17 The DLJ was announced on May 16, 2006 at Java ONE this year. I see
18 that the email you're responding to was written long before we
19 announced the DLJ. I just read the email thread you're responding
20 to, and it was a painful walk down memory lane. Of course the DLJ
21 announcement was immediately overshadowed by the other announcement
22 that day. Hopefully between the DLJ license and the imminent
23 beginning for open source Java, that we can put all the past pain
24 behind us.
25
26 - David Herron