From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Want to affect how JSRs are developed?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:41:26
1 On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 21:30 +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
2 > On 4/22/07, William L. Thomson Jr. <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > From what I have seen and heard that relationship ended some time ago. I
5 > > do not believe any Sun peeps are committing to apache/jakarta projects.
6 >
7 > jakarta has been split into top level projects
8
9 Not sure about that statement. Jakarta projects like tomcat have been
10 moved to top level apache projects now. Jakarta is like an incubator for
11 applications before they become top level/apache projects.
12
13 > there is plenty of activity elsewhere at apache involving committers
14 > with links to sun. see for example
15 > http://incubator.apache.org/projects/river.html,
16 > http://db.apache.org/jdo/, http://shale.apache.org/ (i could do on but
17 > won't). however, i'm not sure how many of those work on apache code as
18 > part of their job.
19
20 That was my point. To the best of my understanding very few if any Sun
21 employees contribute to Apache/Jakarta projects. Sun employees
22 contributing to the FOSS java world are doing so via java.net or what
23 ever that's called. Pretty sure it's not part of the JCP but might be.
24
25 > J2EE1.4 (2.4) RI contains tomcat but i don't think there's a separate
26 > RI for the servlet container specification
27
28 Ok, then Tomcat is the reference up to Servlet API 2.4/JSP API 2.0.
29 Still pretty sure that is not the case for Tomcat 6.x Servlet API
30 2.5/JSP API 2.1.
31
32 > > Seems there were some differences there amongst developers, and it has
33 > > been pretty much completely severed.
34 >
35 > most of the 3.x/4.x tomcat developers have moved onto new open source
36 > projects. i don't know of any who are working on servlet containers
37 > anymore outside apache.
38
39 Like other containers? Resin, Jetty, etc?
40
41 > > I also noticed in glassfish some
42 > > sun-commons stuff, so not sure if they are duplicating that as well.
43 >
44 > most likely that's just part of their effort to open sourcing most of
45 > their code base
46
47 No it seems to me to be a result of the fork. Now there will be apache
48 commons stuff and sun commons stuff.
51 > the fork really happened back with the tomcat 3.0 donation. the apache
52 > implementation has been independent since then.
53
54 No there has been another much more recent fork. Although I am not sure
55 how much is out in public space. Seems there is a current dispute over
56 licenses and etc wrt to Harmony
57 http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130574/article.html
58
59 Just to show recent and current rifts. How deep this goes, hard to say,
60 but seems.
61
62 Seems this stuff started long ago though
63 http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/10_998071
64
65 Bottom line I am seeing some duplicate code bases. Or places where there
66 is great potential for past code base fork to exist.
70 William L. Thomson Jr.
71 Gentoo/Java