From: David Herron <David.Herron@×××.COM>
To: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o, sparc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Java with Sun Ultra Sparc 60
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:07:46
1 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > harald kirjoitti:
3 >
4 >> Hello,
5 >>
6 >> recently downloaded and installed Gentoo on my Sparc Sun machine.
7 >> Unfortunately i did not find any package containing java for this
8 >> architecture. is it possible to install any other java (source) package
9 >> instead? is java support planned by gentoo foundation for these types of
10 >> machines?
11 >>
12 >> please let me know, java support is very important for me.
16 > The sparc arch team does not currently support java so basically nothing
17 > java has sparc keywords. This is because none of the closed source vms
18 > work on sparc and the arch team was not interested in FOSS solutions at
19 > that time. They can probably shed more light on their future plans
20 > themselves.
21 >
22 > Regards,
23 > Petteri Räty
24
25 Note that we at Sun do not provide "The JDK" for SPARC+Linux. For some
26 reason the only SPARC port we provide runs on Solaris ;-) fancy that.
27 After we finish open sourcing the openjdk project I imagine more headway
28 could be made to supporting the openjdk on other architecture/OS
29 combinations than we provide from Sun. Unfortunately that doesn't help
30 you today.
31
32 - David Herron