From: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] QA: java-experimental
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 11:31:44
Alistair Bush wrote:
> I will look into this at some point. I suppose there are many things we > could do to help maintain qa. I suppose we also need more overview of > our contributors. So I might attempt to generate reports, etc of > commits by those users.
So.. maybe it's time to re-think the way java-* overlays are used? I'd opt for "staging" approach: let java-experimental be well, experimental - you don't know whenever something will work, is a good idea, you're still working on it, etc. java-overlay would become a staging ground: after some time (to be defined) ebuilds would end in main tree. So the ebuild migration would look like: * experimental: fresh stuff * overlay: checked by somebody else (peer reviewed) * main tree: after some time in overlay (like a month) That would enforce from where one can have dependencies in particular overlay, would (hopefully) reduce the size of overlays. Something similar was done: http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/java/wiki/March_2007_Summary#Changesinoverlays -- Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xBC555551 desktop-misc, java, apache, ppc, vim, kernel, python...