From: Alistair Bush <alistair.bush@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] J2EE compatability
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 09:42:14
1 Ok here it goes. Im sure that this has been discussed before (even for
2 packages other than jboss but....) but im bringing it up again.
3
4 [Quote jboss-4.0.4.GA-src/build/docs/readme_j2ee.html]
5 ADDITIONAL NOTICE FROM SUN MICROSYSTEMS: This version of the JBoss Application
6 Server source code is made available in support of the open source
7 development process. Some numbered or tagged revisions of this source have
8 been tested and found to pass the Java™ 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition
9 (J2EE™) Compatibility Test Suite, and you can find information on which
10 revisions or tags at www.jboss.com. Please note that since only binaries can
11 be tested, source code cannot be described as a compatible implementation of
12 the J2EE Specification. The different build environment on your machine and
13 any changes you may make to this code could render your resulting build
14 incompatible. Because of this, writing or deploying applications to builds
15 based on this code can lead to lack of portability. You should instead
16 consider deploying production applications on the pre-built binaries of the
17 JBoss Application Server that are available at www.jboss.com that have been
18 tested and certified to meet the J2EE compatibility requirements.
19 [/Quote]
20
21 Now as everyone can see no matter what we do we will never be able to
22 compile/patch etc etc jboss (or in fact any J2EE Application Server) and be
23 able to certify that it is complient. If that takes jboss months to do, we
24 dont have a shit shoiw.
25
26 So I want to talk strategies for gentoo related to J2EE for a couple of
27 reasons.
28
29 1) I dont want upstream(s) hating us because they get lots of "Your server
30 isn't workning on Gentoo" or "Something worked on gentoo but not on ...."
31 2) I don't want users to be deluded into thinking they are getting something
32 they are not.
33
34 The solution(s) to this is(are)....
35
36 1) a) Any source based build have an einfo message stating that the package
37 may not be J2EE complient and that upstream will not support this
38 implementation.
39 b) Provide a binary ebuild as the official implementation and attempt to get
40 upstream developers (even unofficially) to agree/accept the build
41 location/layout/etc (so that there is at least a forum level of support).
42 Maybe this package could be located just in the overlay (like a J2EE overlay
43 with bin packages for each j2ee implementation)
44
45 2) Be true gentooians and go source but be prepared to not be
46 considered 'enterprise'. Initial include a warning as above but once we are
47 a happy with the stability of jboss remove the warning.
48
49 Now im aware of why_we_build_from_source and my preference IS to have a jboss
50 implementation compiled from source (as you maybe able to tell from the work
51 im doing) . But I also want a jboss implementation that is as true to
52 production (and certifiable) ready as possible. So therefore my preference
53 has to be option 1.
54
55 What are ppl's ideas, feedback etc etc on this.
56
57 Ps. Im writing this just after a game of hockey (field) so hopefully im able
58 to string sentences together.
59
60 Ps. I would also like to make sure that the source jboss build depends on
61 the specific version (or very close relatives) of the thirdparty packages
62 within the bin. What are ppl's feadback on this.
65 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list