From: Jesse V Griffis <jgriffis@×××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] tomcat permissions
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:48:50
1 Hi,
2
3 Okay, I'm totally new to interacting with Gentoo mailing lists but have been
4 using it for a while, so if I step in some poo, don't flame too harshly. :)
5
6 I'm actually interested in helping out the java crowd, having read the pleas
7 in GWN. I'd basically fit into the "generalist" camp, and I'm probably
8 begging for pain since I'm messing around with the whole 1.4/1.5 business
9 (and screwing it up royally along the way).
10
11 However, this morning I have a different curious issue: umask and tomcat. I
12 have 5.5.17-r1 installed, running with sun-jdk-1.5.0.07. The tomcat-5.5
13 init.d script uses start-stop-daemon to get the thing up and running,
14 ignoring the traditional startup.sh script that's in tomcat's bin dir.
15
16 Curiously, the version running using start-stop-daemon is completely ignoring
17 the system umask (002 - I'd like to make deployed webapps automatically
18 group-writeable), but running the startup.sh script uses it.
19
20 Any ideas? I don't want to have to hack the startup script to call startup.sh
21 if possible.
22
23 Thanks,
24