From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: Jesse V Griffis <jgriffis@×××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] tomcat permissions
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:05:07
1 On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 12:45 -0400, Jesse V Griffis wrote:
2 >
3 > Curiously, the version running using start-stop-daemon is completely ignoring
4 > the system umask (002 - I'd like to make deployed webapps automatically
5 > group-writeable), but running the startup.sh script uses it.
6
7 I am not clear what is going on? Are your webapps or tomcat running
8 under a different group or etc? Why do you need group writable access to
9 webapps? Owner writable should work fine for most all needs. I can't
10 recall the bug, but I believe there were bugs in the past. I saw a few
11 referenced in ebuild, but I removed them because they were resolve quite
12 some time ago. Not sure if any pertain to this issue.
13
14 > Any ideas?
15
16 I need more info.
17
18 > I don't want to have to hack the startup script to call startup.sh
19 > if possible.
20
21 Absolutely not. The old ebuilds and etc used to hack and wrap Tomcat's
22 provided init scripts. For a variety of reasons we no longer use them,
23 and made our own init script. If anything, as documented in the future
24 section
25 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/tomcat-guide.xml
26
27 At some point I would like to use a init script developed by a Tomcat
28 developer, over an extended period of time.
29 http://www.webdroid.org:8080/repo/viewcvs.cgi/tomcat-package/trunk/bin/
30
31 Let me know what you are trying to do and etc. What's not working or etc
32 so I can look further into it. Thanks.
36 Sincerely,
37 William L. Thomson Jr.
38 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
39 http://www.obsidian-studios.com