From: Jesse V Griffis <jgriffis@×××.com>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] tomcat permissions
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:13:03
1 Hi William,
2
3 On Monday 07 August 2006 13:03, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
4 > On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 12:45 -0400, Jesse V Griffis wrote:
5 > > Curiously, the version running using start-stop-daemon is completely
6 > > ignoring the system umask (002 - I'd like to make deployed webapps
7 > > automatically group-writeable), but running the startup.sh script uses
8 > > it.
9 >
10 > I am not clear what is going on? Are your webapps or tomcat running
11 > under a different group or etc? Why do you need group writable access to
12 > webapps? Owner writable should work fine for most all needs. I can't
13 > recall the bug, but I believe there were bugs in the past. I saw a few
14 > referenced in ebuild, but I removed them because they were resolve quite
15 > some time ago. Not sure if any pertain to this issue.
16
17 Thanks for the insight so far, and apologies for not being more clear. I've
18 done a little more investigation, and here's what I can tell you:
19
20 Essentially, the reason I want group writeable webapps is for simplicity in
21 deploying new .war files over the top of existing ones on my development
22 machine.
23
24 I use a simple ant script that removes all traces of a web app, then copies a
25 newly-built .war into webapps (akin to a 'make install'), and then tomcat
26 auto-deploys it.
27
28 I have tomcat running as tomcat:tomcat. I have my normal user added to the
29 'tomcat' group, so that after tomcat auto-deploys the new webapp and then
30 I've gone and done some more work, I can run ant again and the delete of the
31 existing webapp works quietly - without being group writable I can't do that
32 automatically.
33
34 I just recently upgraded to tomcat 5.5; With earlier versions (and when using
35 catalina.sh now), use whatever system-wide umask I happened to set
36 in /etc/profile (I've used 002 for a long time). Now, however, that's
37 ignored and it appears to be forcing 022.
38
39 As for my "little more investigation", it's apparently not in
40 start-stop-daemon at all. I found an older machine with a different init
41 script that just calls catalina.sh:
42
43 start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --chuid tomcat:tomcat --exec
44 ${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/catalina.sh -- start
45
46 That works as expected. The ps output appears nearly identical whether I use
47 this or the current 5.5 script, the only difference being that the current
48 one includes more under "-classpath".
49
50 Thanks,
51
52 Jesse