From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: Jesse V Griffis <jgriffis@×××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] tomcat permissions
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:20:21
1 On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 14:09 -0400, Jesse V Griffis wrote:
2 >
3 > I have tomcat running as tomcat:tomcat. I have my normal user added to the
4 > 'tomcat' group, so that after tomcat auto-deploys the new webapp and then
5 > I've gone and done some more work, I can run ant again and the delete of the
6 > existing webapp works quietly - without being group writable I can't do that
7 > automatically.
8
9 Ok that makes sense and I was assuming you were doing something along
10 those lines. I don't will see if I can find a reason why group writable
11 permissions are not set. If I can't then I will address ebuilds so the
12 webapps dir is group writable.
13 >
14 > As for my "little more investigation", it's apparently not in
15 > start-stop-daemon at all. I found an older machine with a different init
16 > script that just calls catalina.sh:
17
18 Yeah that's the nastiness. Avoid that, all new Tomcat ebuilds 5.0.28 and
19 5.5.17 use a gentoo specific init script. We don't hack or call
20 catalina.sh anymore.
21
22 > start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --chuid tomcat:tomcat --exec
23 > ${CATALINA_HOME}/bin/catalina.sh -- start
24 >
25 > That works as expected. The ps output appears nearly identical whether I use
26 > this or the current 5.5 script, the only difference being that the current
27 > one includes more under "-classpath".
28
29 Well catalina.sh is part of several scripts for Tomcat. One of the ones
30 it calls is setclasspath.sh. Our init script basically consists of the
31 *nix specific parts of catalina.sh and setclasspath.sh compacted :)
32
33 Our init script should start and stop tomcat more reliably. With a
34 occasional hiccup on restart. Eventually I will replace it with the init
35 script a Tomcat dev made, but I have to hack/patch that to make it
36 Gentoo specific. So it is down the road a bit. Unless there is a dire
37 need.
40 Sincerely,
41 William L. Thomson Jr.
42 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.