From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Weka package cleanup
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:36:31
1 On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 22:55 +0200, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > On 1/16/07, Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o> wrote:
3 > > > I can help... Moving all packages I use to generation 2...
4 > >
5 > > Yeah, migrating packages that one has installed is common :) Maybe then
6 > > we find the rest isn't that important as not many people use it.
7 > > Help would be appreciated for sure. But please don't commit that on your
8 > > own without our review, at least for first attempts. Takes some
9 > > experience to do it properly (and admittedly, our docs aren't exactly up
10 > > to date with the eclasses improvements you can for example see in this ML).
11 >
12 > But you have to promiss me response time...
13
14 Promises from volunteers, that's asking quite a bit :)
15
16 > I will open a bug for each ebuild, and you review it in... a year? :)
17
18 Well you can always join the team and help out with the work load if you
19 are not happy with response time :) Also at times what is critical to
20 one is not to all. Such is life, but we are trying to improve things.
21 Just not to many active devs, and with 400+ packages. The load for any
22 one is quite great. With those like me only able to keep about 10 or so
23 of those current, and up to date. It leaves quite a load for others.
24
25 > > > My interest is to stop forcing sun-sdk-1.5 as generation 1...
26 > >
27 > > It's jdk-1.4 and it will have to be forced in generation 1. The interest
28 > > is to remove generation 1 :)
29 >
30 > NO... I force 1.5 to be generation 1... I don't like to have two sdks
31 > on my machine.
32
33 Yes I mentioned around the time that 1.6 was released we consider
34 bumping our min version to source/target 1.5. However that will only be
35 possible once ALL gen 1 packages are migrated, cleaned up, and so on. I
36 doubt it will happen in the next 5-6 months or so. Hopefully could and
37 should happen before end of year. IMHO
40 William L. Thomson Jr.
41 Gentoo/Java