From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] gcj, maven, the GPL and ebuild
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 05:52:30
1 You brought up quite a tirade of topics... I'd recommend splitting them
2 up so we can at least have some focus.
3 Thufir wrote:
4 > I've been sifting through the archives on these topics and would like
5 > a status report on java. stat ;)
6 >
7 > The best thing would be for gcj to catch-up to Java 5, but that won't
8 > be for a while. There are several threads about ebuilds
9 > auto-magically fetching a Sun JRE or JDK, displaying a license and
10 > then installing. That also would be nice in a more perfect world, but
11 > fetching a binary via the web browser every now and then isn't the
12 > greatest inconvenience in the world.
13 >
14 a) I'm pretty sure your sources are out of date. Sun's JRE and JDK as of
15 1.5.0.06 are freely distributable, as in, they are on our mirrors.
16 b) The method you describe isn't how it was done. You would be prompted
17 to go a web site. You would then have to visit the site, and click
18 through the license
19 > However, even were the Sun JDK easily installed as described above,
20 > it'd still be masked, as I understand, due to some source files in
21 > Gentoo not working with Java 5 due to problems with reserved words.
22 Ok, you are really behind the ball here :)
23
24 http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/nichoj/2006/05/22/of_java_1_5_and_gentoo
25 http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/nichoj/2006/06/26/the_new_java_hotness
26 http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/nichoj/2006/06/29/update_the_new_java_hotness
27 http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/nichoj/2006/07/01/updated_java_system_and_java_1_5_unmaske
28 >
29 > Then there's the philosophical problem with distributing compiled
30 > classes instead of building a java app from source.
31 >
32 https://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/java/wiki/Why_build_from_source
33 > Finally, I was amazed to read that maven is, apparently,
34 > windows-centric. Very disappointing.
35 >
36 Where was it ever said on this list that it was windows centric? I think
37 this is actualy the first time I remember windows even being brought up
38 on this list. The problem, as has been pointed out in subthread, is that
39 it is incredibly difficult to package sanely.
40 > The bottom line appears to be that java for Linux sucked, got better,
41 > but still sucks and will continue to suck for the foreseeable future.
42 > Yes?
43 >
44 Erm, no? Java on Gentoo is quite good, and will only get better in the
45 foreseeable future.
48 Joshua Nichols
49 Gentoo/Java Project Lead
50 --