From: Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] gcj, maven, the GPL and ebuild
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 21:59:33
1 I've been sifting through the archives on these topics and would like a
2 status report on java. stat ;)
3
4 The best thing would be for gcj to catch-up to Java 5, but that won't be
5 for a while. There are several threads about ebuilds auto-magically
6 fetching a Sun JRE or JDK, displaying a license and then installing. That
7 also would be nice in a more perfect world, but fetching a binary via the
8 web browser every now and then isn't the greatest inconvenience in the
9 world.
10
11 However, even were the Sun JDK easily installed as described above, it'd
12 still be masked, as I understand, due to some source files in Gentoo not
13 working with Java 5 due to problems with reserved words.
14
15 Then there's the philosophical problem with distributing compiled classes
16 instead of building a java app from source.
17
18 Finally, I was amazed to read that maven is, apparently, windows-centric.
19 Very disappointing.
20
21 The bottom line appears to be that java for Linux sucked, got better, but
22 still sucks and will continue to suck for the foreseeable future. Yes?
25 -Thufir
28 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list