From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Java installation handling not acceptable
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:47:10
1 Daniel wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > thank you all for responding.
4 >
5 > I notice that it is ugly to explain this problem. So I will ask a simple
6 > question and we will have a look at the answer(s).
7 >
8 > How do I emerge JDK-1.5 if I also need to set the "java" useflag?
11 I'm not sure what you're getting at with this question... You can just
12 emerge =jdk-1.5*... You'd have to set the java USE flag yourself in
13 make.conf as you normally would. However, not all packages with USE=java
14 have been migrated to the new Java system, so those would need to use a
15 1.4 JDK.
16 > I'm really interested in your answers. But I think all possible answers are
17 > longer than two sentences, aren't they? And THAT is the problem.
20 Well, it is a complicated issue. If we hadn't done anything, Java 1.5
21 would still be package.mask'd. If we had done the migration by dropping
22 it directly stable, there'd be even more problems than there are, since
23 stable users would be having issues too. The way it was done, with the
24 generations, was a compromise. It is certainly less than ideal, but it
25 was the sanest way we could come up with to support it.
26 > Krzysiek Pawlik told me that one of my suggestions "would break
27 > the 'non-interactive' principle of portage". But the Java installation _is
28 > currently_ 'interactive'.
29 >
30 It's 'interactive' because it stops when a problem is detected... a good
31 thing, yes?
32 > regards
33 > Daniel
36 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list