From: Greg Tassone <greg@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Split of dev-java/ ?
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 04:48:45
1 On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 23:17 +0200, Krzysiek Pawlik wrote:
2 ...
3 > dev-java/ has currently 338 packages (and growing ;) ) - maybe it is a
4 > good idea to split it to multiple categories? (basic idea is much like
5 > with perl-core or www-apache categories).
6
7 I personally like the idea. I don't see any harm in reorganizing into
8 something more manageable, although some might feel it unnecessary from
9 a "user" perspective. I still like it, though...
10
11 As for your categories, I think they are a great start but I do have
12 some suggestions:
13
14 > - java-vm/ - all JDKs and JREs (sun, blackdown, kaffe, etc.. jamvm,
15 > sablevm ?)
16
17 I like it...
20 > - java-commons/ - all commons-* [ other possibility: java-jakarta - to
21 > have all commons-* and jakarta-* packages in it ]
22 > - java-libs/ - all packages providing Java API for other libraries
23 > (like gnome-java, libgconf-java, libgtk-java, etc...)
24
25 I would probably combine these two into one category called java-libs/
26 instead of having them separated. However, I don't have a big issue
27 with it either way.
30 > - java-web - WWW related packages (like template engines, web
31 > frameworks) [ or java-www ]
32
33 I'd probably make this one java-www/ as the "www" is consistent with
34 current package categories in Portage.
37 > - java-db - database access, persistence frameworks, JDBC
38
39 I like it...
42 > - java-apps - standalone Java applications - like jvmstat, jython, etc)
43
44 Hmmm, I like this one too. It is consistent with other package
45 categories like "www-apps/" and "sys-apps/".
48 > all the rest could be left in dev-java or moved (preffered?) to
49 > java-util/java-dev/java-misc.
50
51 I definitely agree that "dev-java/" should be changed. First of all, I
52 like the idea of our categories being consistent with the convention
53 "java-*" as you outline above. This way everything is grouped nicely
54 together in the tree.
55
56 Furthermore, in keeping with the "catch-all" theme that this final
57 category will most certainly be, I believe that "java-misc/" would be a
58 good choice.
59
60 Thoughts/comments?
61