From: Grant McDorman <grmcdorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Greetings from a new volunteer
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 00:01:35
1 Greetings to all. I've volunteered to assist the Java team (following
2 the public plea in the Gentoo weekly news). I've already received a
3 note from Karl T., and have subscribed (obviously) to this list.
4
5 Let me introduce myself. I've been in the software development
6 business for a long time; I worked for what is now UNISYS in the
7 language products division, for a now-defunct Canadian airline
8 (Wardair), the Ontario public power utility, and am now working at
9 Cedara (a medical imaging company, http://www.cedara.com).
10
11 Relatively speaking, I'm a latecomer to Java - I started with APL, of
12 all things, and went through numerous other languages. I'm using Java
13 at work these days (we have a layer in our imaging toolkit that is in
14 Java - although, oddly, it is _not_ crossplatform - yet). I use
15 Netbeans as my IDE at work (or a plain vanilla text editor). All of
16 this is currently on Windows. (Yes, I know that's unusual - but that's
17 what our customer wanted, and money talks.)
18
19 I also am responsible for a couple of very small projects on
20 SourceForge - vncsnapshot (http://vncsnapshot.sf.net) and
21 xtaskmanager. The former gets a bit of attention; the latter, little
22 to none. Both are written in C (with a little C++ in vncsnapshot,
23 inherited from the VNC source code base).
24
25 I'm not very conversant with ebuilds, although I have written one or
26 two, and modified a few others (I only submitted one or two to the
27 Gentoo bugs, though).
28
29 At home, we have five machines - one is a server and firewall; the
30 remaining four machines are each for one of the family members. All
31 are running Gentoo; the personal machines are dual-booted with Windows
32 XP, but only to play games. (My wife, in fact, doesn't use Windows at
33 all.)
34
35 Personally, I'm older than I care to admit. I have been married for
36 twenty years, and have two children, both boys, who are now 15 and 17.
37
38 So, with respect to the Gentoo Java project: I've looked over the
39 documents and bug list. I note that most bugs are ebuild problems
40 rather than program bugs. What would you like me to start with?
41
42 Note: I can be contacted at this email address (grmcdorman@×××××.com),
43 or via Jabber (grmcdorman@××××××××.net). I do have a few other email
44 addresses, but anything sent to Gmail I will see in short order. I'm
45 not likely to be on the IRC channel, as I haven't had any reason to
46 use that in the past.
47 --
48 Grant McDorman
49 --