From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Greetings from a new volunteer
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 00:52:39
1 Hello, and welcome!
2
3 Grant McDorman wrote:
4 > Greetings to all. I've volunteered to assist the Java team (following
5 > the public plea in the Gentoo weekly news). I've already received a
6 > note from Karl T., and have subscribed (obviously) to this list.
7 >
8 > Let me introduce myself. I've been in the software development
9 > business for a long time; I worked for what is now UNISYS in the
10 > language products division, for a now-defunct Canadian airline
11 > (Wardair), the Ontario public power utility, and am now working at
12 > Cedara (a medical imaging company, http://www.cedara.com).
13 >
14 > Relatively speaking, I'm a latecomer to Java - I started with APL, of
15 > all things, and went through numerous other languages. I'm using Java
16 > at work these days (we have a layer in our imaging toolkit that is in
17 > Java - although, oddly, it is _not_ crossplatform - yet). I use
18 > Netbeans as my IDE at work (or a plain vanilla text editor). All of
19 > this is currently on Windows. (Yes, I know that's unusual - but that's
20 > what our customer wanted, and money talks.)
21 >
22 > I also am responsible for a couple of very small projects on
23 > SourceForge - vncsnapshot (http://vncsnapshot.sf.net) and
24 > xtaskmanager. The former gets a bit of attention; the latter, little
25 > to none. Both are written in C (with a little C++ in vncsnapshot,
26 > inherited from the VNC source code base).
27 >
28 > I'm not very conversant with ebuilds, although I have written one or
29 > two, and modified a few others (I only submitted one or two to the
30 > Gentoo bugs, though).
31 With regards to Java, our ebuild documentation is at:
32 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/java-devel.xml
33
34 At the bottom, there are links to general developer documentation.
35 >
36 > At home, we have five machines - one is a server and firewall; the
37 > remaining four machines are each for one of the family members. All
38 > are running Gentoo; the personal machines are dual-booted with Windows
39 > XP, but only to play games. (My wife, in fact, doesn't use Windows at
40 > all.)
41 >
42 > Personally, I'm older than I care to admit. I have been married for
43 > twenty years, and have two children, both boys, who are now 15 and 17.
44 >
45 > So, with respect to the Gentoo Java project: I've looked over the
46 > documents and bug list. I note that most bugs are ebuild problems
47 > rather than program bugs. What would you like me to start with?
48 >
49 As far as what to work on, my mantra has always been to work on either
50 a) what interests you, b) what you need, or c) things that bother you.
51 Basically, find an itch and scratch it :)
52
53 > Note: I can be contacted at this email address (grmcdorman@×××××.com),
54 > or via Jabber (grmcdorman@××××××××.net). I do have a few other email
55 > addresses, but anything sent to Gmail I will see in short order. I'm
56 > not likely to be on the IRC channel, as I haven't had any reason to
57 > use that in the past.
58 If you plan to get very involved with the project, I recommend joining
59 the channel. Most of the team spends at least some time in the channel
60 (some more than others ;) ). I've found it to be the most expedient form
61 of communication for what we do. At the very least, I suggest joining
62 the channel when you are working on Java stuff or reading through our
63 documentation.
64
65 Regards,
68 Joshua Nichols