From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Cc: Gerry Smith <smith.gerry@×××××.com>, gentoo-java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Employment
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 07:18:24
1 I realized I wasn't clear in addressing the posting, and just one aspect
2 of it. Without providing my reasoning, stupid assumptions :)
3
4 On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 21:44 +0300, Petteri Räty wrote:
7 > I forwarded your message to gentoo-core so that it catches all Gentoo
8 > developers. Besides wltjr and ali_bush (New Zealand) the Gentoo Java
9 > project members are Europeans.
10
11 I failed to mention in my posting that basically based on the above.
12 While there are likely several current Gentoo Devs familiar with Java on
13 Gentoo. I am not sure how many are doing stuff with JEE on Gentoo or
14 other distros. If they were they would be on the Gentoo Java team :)
15
16 So aside from what Betelgeuse mentioned above. Not sure the response you
17 will get if your seeking to hire actual Gentoo developers. Thus I only
18 addressed the contributing to Gentoo side of things. Since it was
19 implied any person hired and/or the company would be looking to
20 contribute back to Gentoo.
21
22 Not sure if you were looking to hire from say the community. Thus the
23 posting to the list? Not that there is anything wrong with the email
24 being forward for other Gentoo devs to see. Just not sure the response.
25 So given the void in talent, so to speak. Which I assumed was more
26 visible to others; lack of package JEE stuff in Gentoo, etc. Wasn't
27 really addressing the employment side of things.
28
29 What are your requirements, or in other words how can we help? Are you
30 looking to hire Gentoo Developers, and have them contribute to Gentoo as
31 part of satisfying your needs, etc? Or looking to hire from the Gentoo
32 Java community?
35 Personally while I am in the US, I am self employed. Short of
36 contractual work. Most likely not something I personally would be
37 interested in. I don't do much if anything with JEE, just use some
38 components/pieces. Although I have wanted for a long time to see
39 support, and effort put into JEE on Gentoo. Since we have little to
40 none. So far no one has stepped up. Any potential there, I jump all over
41 it, so hopefully one day. Someone will package and maintain JEE app
42 servers, etc on Gentoo.
45 William L. Thomson Jr.
46 amd64/Java/Trustees
47 Gentoo Foundation