From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: David Herron <David.Herron@×××.COM>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Java going GPL; Stallman approves -- News at 11:00
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:31:28
1 Hi David
2
3 > The jdk-distros project is meant to be a staging ground for some of the
4 > linux-specific bits and documentation. However it's focused entirely on
5 > installers, and not the JDK code itself. The jdk-distros project uses
6 > the BSD license to facilitate even more fluid code sharing.
7 >
8 > You are probably talking about source changes, not installer changes..?
9
10 Yes, I am referring to inevitable patches required to get the JDK built
11 from source code, since that is what we want to do as soon as we can get
12 around to it -- build the JDK from source code instead of using the
13 Sun-provided DLJ binaries (of course, first all of the JDK must be
14 there, c.f. the encumbered parts of the library).
15
16 In the past, we had a from-source ebuild for the JDK, but given the
17 (old!) licensing conditions, none of the current Gentoo Java developers
18 wanted to become contaminated by looking at the JDK source (this is now
19 a thing of the past! waaaay!). In our from-source ebuild, we did various
20 patching (I don't know the specifics) of the JDK source to get it built
21 on Gentoo.
22
23 Similarly, for Eclipse, we've had to do all kind of strange code
24 acrobatics to get it compiling even remotely properly on Linux. Over the
25 years, Eclipse has been able to use the Motif and Gtk+ windowing
26 toolkits, the GNOME and KDE VFS, the Mozilla embedded browser component
27 (libgtkembedmoz), and it has been rather picky about which Java
28 compilers and JDKs it will build with. Since Eclipse doesn't use
29 autoconf and friends, and some of the build paths have even been
30 hardcoded to fixed paths in their buildfarm, it's sometimes been a bit
31 icky to get everything compiling smoothly for our users.
32
33 Take the example of the embedded HTML component in Eclipse, which uses
34 the Gecko rendering engine. Upstream, this component has historically
35 either been built against the Gecko SDK or one of the Mozilla 1.x stable
36 branch, but upstream doesn't maintain compatibility for both. So, we've
37 had to patch in support for compiling Eclipse on systems where only
38 Firefox is installed (and this is possible, even though the label
39 advises against it;).
40
41 Since I've not yet familiarized myself with the JDK source base, I
42 cannot offer specific examples of where we would need to patch your
43 build scripts, but I am sure we'll run into something pretty quickly,
44 and so will the Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu guys, I am sure.
45
46 > The current contribution process is a work in progress and we know it's
47 > not the final one. We plan to develop a better contribution process
48 > over time. The process that's there is very similar to the process we
49 > use in-house that Sun engineers go through on every change we make to
50 > Java SE. We take stability as a very high attribute and the process we
51 > follow involves a lot of peer review and unit/etc testing before it is
52 > allowed into the central source repository.
53
54 That is perfectly understandable, and I would have it no other way. Your
55 goal is to ship stable products and be the primary care takers of the
56 JDK code base.
57
58 What we need is a place and a forum where we can share build system
59 patches and fixes (and sometimes, the patches may affect more than just
60 the build system -- even you guys make a few mistakes and incorrect
61 assumptions in your code now and again;).
62
63 > But, that said, any future contribution process is open for discussion.
64 > The appropriate place to take that is the mailing lists and/or forums on
65 > java.net.
66 >
67 > We are open to, in the future, having external contributors with direct
68 > putback rights. And that, too, is a topic for discussion.
69
70 I think I should be clear that I'm not asking for you to loosen your
71 standards when it comes to the commit privileges on the OpenJDK
72 repository. I do see the need for an arena with a code repo, a wiki, a
73 mailing list where the JDK packagers on the various distros can share
74 code, ideas, gripes and experience.
75
76 > BTW, one goal for the jdk-distros project was for it to hold the
77 > installer scripts for each distribution using the DLJ. The
78 > Debian/Ubuntu scripts are in the jdk-distros repository. The Gentoo
79 > scripts could be, if you desire, if there is any need for it.
80
81 The jdk-distros project may indeed be exactly what we're looking for
82 here. I don't think that there's any point in us putting our ebuilds
83 into this repo, however, because they would grow stale in a matter of
84 days -- as you know, we try to maintain all our installation scripts
85 (i.e. ebuilds) in the Portage tree, so that they're always and instantly
86 available to our users.
87
88 Any patches and fixes that we eventually apply to the JDK built system,
89 however, are candidates for inclusion into jdk-distros.
90
91 > The purpose was along the lines of what you have discussed. To
92 > facilitate sharing between the distribution makers of the installation
93 > procedures.
94
95 Perhaps expanding the mandate for jdk-distros is useful, then, to also
96 include build system patches for the OpenJDK.
97
98 Since Gentoo is "from source"-outfit, our focus will shift towards
99 source drops of the JDK as these become available (hopefully some time
100 next year) and Java 1.7 draws closer to a release. I anticipate that we
101 will keep Sun-provided binaries for 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7, and probably even
102 future versions in the years to come, but our priority has always been
103 and will always be source-based packages.
104
105 (But I'm not the cat-herder around here anymore, so my thoughts on the
106 binary/source issue are just speculations based on hard-earned
107 experience, and should not be taken as any official statement on behalf
108 of the Gentoo Java Team.)
111 Cheers,
112
113 -- Karl T